Sunday, April 19, 2015

Quickbooks 2003 errors - Command.com and Runtime C++ *** SOLVED ***

I use Quickbooks 2003. Ever since Windows XP and I am now using 8.1. 
It is installed on two computers, Windows 7 and 8.1
I finally updated my Windows 7 QB2003 install only after years of it asking... And wow! QB 2003 successfully updated itself on "computer 1".

Updating on "computer 2" -Win 8.1- proved to be a real pain. I aborted mid-update download for some reason and the software would never even open back up for me. I uninstalled, re-installed... etc. I search out the error messages, each one that I recd:

- The command.com error (you might get this one during installation)
Copy all files to a folder on your desktop and run the setup/install software from there. I also recommend setting Properties to Run as if WinXP SP2 and to RUN as Administrator.

- Visual C++ error
Download the 2005 or 2008 Visual C++ Distributable Package from here for 2005 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5638) and here for 2008 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5582)
HERE IS THE TRICK TO MAKE IT WORK: Right-click the program shortcut: Go to Properties. Choose Compatability tab. Check __ Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Voila! Progam opening now. Hallelujah! 

I also recommend taking a look at Quickbooks solution:

No comments: